Home » Disasters, Latest World News » More than 10,000 feared dead in Philippines
Nov
10

monster-typhoon-philippines-haiyanTACLOBAN/HANOI: A super typhoon that destroyed entire towns across the Philippines is believed to have killed more than 10,000 people, authorities said on Sunday, which would make it the country’s deadliest recorded natural disaster.

The horrifying new feared death toll from Super Typhoon Haiyancame as the United States pledged military help in the relief effort and as countless survivors across a huge swathe of the country remained without aid for a third day.

Ten thousand people were believed to have been killed in the worst-hit province on Leyte, regional police chief Elmer Soria told reporters inTacloban, the devastated provincial capital.

“We had a meeting last night with the governor and, based on the government’s estimates, initially there are 10,000 casualties (dead). About 70 to 80 percent of the houses and structures along the typhoon’s path were destroyed,” Soria said.

The scenes in Tacloban, a city of 220,000 people, and other coastal towns were reminiscent of atsunami aftermath, with concrete slabs the only part of many homes remaining, vehicles flipped over and power lines destroyed.

“This is destruction on a massive scale. There are cars thrown like tumbleweed and the streets are strewn with debris,” said Sebastian Rhodes Stampa, the head of a UN disaster assessment coordination team, in Tacloban.

“The last time I saw something of this scale was in the aftermath of the Indian Ocean tsunami,” he said, referring to the 2004 disaster that claimed about 220,000 lives.

Haiyan hit Leyte and the neighbouring island with maximum sustained winds of around 315 kilometres (195 miles) on Friday, and generated waves up to three metres (10 feet) high that surged deep inland.

However, while Leyte was believed to have been the worst hit, the carnage extended across a 600-kilometre stretch of islands through the central Philippines.

A few dozen other deaths had been confirmed in some of these areas, but authorities admitted they were completely overwhelmed and many communities were still yet to be contacted.

“We’re still establishing command and control through logistics and communications,” military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Ramon Zagala said.

He said among the communities yet to be contacted was Guiuan, a fishing town of about 40,000 people on Samar island that was the first to be hit after Haiyan swept in from the Pacific Ocean.

About 130 hundred kilometres to the west of Tacloban, the popular tourist islands of Malapascua appeared to be in ruins, according to aerial photographs, with people there unaccounted for so far.

“The coast guard commander cannot communicate with the area. They are cut off in communications and from power,” regional civil defence director Minda Morante said.

The Philippines endures a seemingly never-ending pattern of deadly typhoons, earthquakes, volcano eruptions and other natural disasters.

It is located along a typhoon belt and the so-called Ring of Fire, a vast Pacific Ocean region where many of Earth’s earthquakes and volcanic eruptions occur.

However, if the feared death toll of above 10,000 is correct, Haiyan would be the deadliest natural disaster ever recorded in the Philippines.

Until Haiyan, the deadliest disaster was in 1976, when a tsunami triggered by a magnitude 7.9 earthquake devastated the Moro Gulf on the southern Philippine island of Mindanao, killing between 5,000 and 8,000 people.

In Washington, the Pentagon announced that US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel had responded to a request from the Philippines for military aid.

“Secretary Hagel has directed US Pacific Command to support US government humanitarian relief operations in the Philippines in the wake of Typhoon Haiyan,” it said.

“The initial focus includes surface maritime search and rescue, medium-heavy helicopter lift support, airborne maritime search and rescue, fixed wing lift support and logistics enablers.”

United Nations leader Ban Ki-moon also pledged that UN humanitarian agencies would “respond rapidly to help people in need”.

Ban is “deeply saddened by the extensive loss of life” and devastation caused by Haiyan, said UN spokesman Martin Nesirky in a statement.

600,000 were evacuated as typhoon nears Vietnam: Officials

More than 600,000 people were evacuated as super typhoon Haiyan veered towards Vietnam, authorities said on Sunday, after the storm smashed through the Philippines killing thousands and causing widespread devastation.

“We have evacuated more than 174,000 households, which is equivalent to more than 600,000 people,” an official report by Vietnam’s flood and storm control department said on Sunday.

The storm is expected to strike on Monday morning after changing course prompting mass evacuations in northern Nghe An province around 230 kilometres (145 miles) from the captial Hanoi, the update said.

However, many of the estimated 200,000 evacuated in four central provinces on Saturday have been allowed to return to their homes.

Haiyan “is quickly moving north and northwest, travelling at a speed of up to 35 kilometres per hour”, the country’s weather bureau added in a statement.

The weather system — one of the most intense typhoons on record when it tore into the Philippines — has weakened over the South China Sea and is expected to hit as a weaker category 1 storm, meteorologists added.

The typhoon’s epicentre is expected to make landfall around 7:00am on Monday (1200 GMT), with winds of around 74 kilometres (45 miles an hour) per hour.

National flag carrier Vietnam Airlines said it had cancelled some 62 flights to and from the country’s central provinces due to bad weather.

At least four people were reportedly killed while preparing to escape the typhoon, disaster officials said, without giving further details.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Add reply

*